Thursday, June 26, 2008

Route Redistribution, tigers and bears, oh my!

Today I focused my efforts on route redistribution. I managed to redistribute everything in my sample lab, which was nice. I have a few issues, mainly stemming from not always knowing when a routing loop would occur. I sorta figured out that it'll only occur when redistributing multiple points, and only under certain conditions. For example, if you're redistributing only internal EIGRP routes into OSPF on two interfaces, no routing loops would form, because EIGRP has an AD of 90 (Internal), and OSPF has an AD of 110. Thus, since only internal routes of EIGRP are redistributed, OSPF can't get any of its own routes advertised into itself, and since EIGRP has a lower AD than OSPF, then it won't choose any routing updates from OSPF for its own routes, because they're less reliable. Thus, we are all happy.

If none of that made sense to you, don't worry. It's just the magic of the Internet.

No comments: